Follow these safety tips from Los Angeles County Fire Department to prevent injuries and deaths related to heating your home.
List of items and safety recommendations:
- Install Smoke alarm near bedrooms and on each floor of your home.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recommends carbon monoxide alarm system to be included near bedrooms and on each floor of your home.
- Make sure heating equipment is installed properly. Have a trained specialist or your local Gas Company inspector inspect and tune up your heating system each year.
- Keep portable space heaters at least 3 feet from anything that can burn, including bedding, furniture, and clothing.
- Always use a space heater that is equipped with automatic shot off when tipped over.
- Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- Have your fireplace chimney and flue inspected each year and cleaned if needed.
- Never use your range or oven to heat your home, even for a short time.