Explore The Possibilities
Introducing the youth of Los Angeles County to today’s fire and emergency medical services, emphasizing community service and civic involvement through positive mentoring, training, education, and career development.
After meeting the program’s entrance requirements, Explorers will be given an opportunity to participate in a two-day Explorer orientation.
During the Explorer orientation, they will learn leadership techniques and soft skills as well as be trained on firefighting skills, hose lay evolutions, ladder techniques, salvage operations, proper use of firefighting tools and equipment, breathing apparatus use, and other related subjects.
We look forward to you joining our Explorer program and exploring all the possibilities!
- 15-20 years of age.*
- Maintain a 2.0 grade point average in school.
- Ability to read, write, and comprehend directions and training materials in English.
- Ability to work as a team member.
- For everyone’s health and safety and pursuant to LA County policies, all Explorer Program participants will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
Explorer Program Recruitment:
Explorer Program recruitment is currently closed at this time. Please check this webpage and social media regularly for updates on the next open recruitment period.
Explorer Program Application and Selection Process:
- When the Explorer Program application period opens, individuals may apply via a link posted to social media, and distributed via email to individuals who submitted Interest Cards, and to those who participated in the Explorer Program virtual recruitment open house events.
- Each individual who applies will have the opportunity to select their Explorer Post choice(s) in order of preference (maximum of three Posts).
- Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Individuals selected to participate in the Explorer Program will be notified via email and required to:
Complete a “Learning for Life” application.*
Attend a Parent/Explorer Information Session and complete a two-day Explorer Program Orientation.
Meet all the program requirements (i.e., physical, fees, etc.).
Submit a memo of interest to their assigned Explorer Post and interview with an Explorer Advisor.
* Explorer Program participants 18 to 20 years of age will be subject to a background investigation conducted by Learning for Life
|1||Carson, Gardena, Hawthorne, Hermosa Beach, Lawndale, Lomita, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, and Rolling Hills Estates||6||Cudahy, Huntington Park, Inglewood, Lynwood, Maywood, South Gate, Vernon|
|2||Azusa, Baldwin Park, Bradbury, Claremont, Covina, Duarte, Glendora, Irwindale, and San Dimas||7||Agoura Hills, Calabasas, Hidden Hills, Malibu, West Hollywood, and Westlake Village|
|3||La Cañada Flintridge and Santa Clarita||8||Diamond Bar, Industry, La Puente, Pomona, and Walnut|
|4||Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Hawaiian Gardens, La Habra, Lakewood, La Mirada, Norwalk, Paramount, Pico Rivera, Signal Hill, and Whittier||9||Bell, Bell Gardens, Commerce, El Monte, Rosemead, South El Monte, and Temple City|
|5||Lancaster and Palmdale|