Forestry Fuel Modification
The Fuel Modification Unit is responsible for the approval of a landscape plan for structures located in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones. The process of approval consists of reviewing aspects such as structure location and type of construction, topography, slope, amount and arrangement of vegetation and overall site settings. Our objective through this approval plan process is to create defensible space necessary for effective fire protection of homes in the Fire Hazard Severity Zones.
Fuel Modification HQ
Plan checkers are available for in-office meetings by appointment.
For further inquiries/communication/request call back please email: ForestryFuelModification@fire.lacounty.gov
- Must be within the High Fire Hazard Severity Zone (Fire Hazard Severity Zone Map)
- Must be new structure or an addition that is equal to or greater than 50% of the existing square footage
- For complete conditions, please see LA County Fire Code: Section 4908.
1. Submit plan and site photographs online here: https://arcg.is/1aKWay0
a. Click here for required plan notes that must be included on the plan or as additional pages.
b. Follow principles outlined in the Plant Selection Guidelines found on the “Resources and References” page.
c. Mailing form and submittal checklist available by clicking here.
2. Project will be reviewed. Approval, corrections, and associated documents will be returned via email to applicant contact.
3. Site inspection, for certificate of occupancy, will be conducted upon completion of landscape installation. Please request inspection via email: ForestryFuelModification@fire.lacounty.gov
THE FUEL MODIFICATION PLAN
The Fuel Modification plan consists of Zones A, B, and C. These zones are drawn as concentric circles around each structure extending to the property line. Zone A extends from the outer edge of the structure or appendage to 30 feet. Zone B extends from the edge of Zone A to 100 feet from the structure. Zone C extends from the edge of Zone B to 200 feet from the structure, or to the property line.