Fire Fighter Trainee Job Posting
ARE YOU READY TO JOIN OUR TEAM AND LIVE THE DREAM?Answer the call and be a part of a diverse team of firefighters who provide vital fire protection and life safety services to over four million residents. Please see below for information on the Fire Fighter Trainee and Fire Fighter Trainee (Paramedic) examinations.
Opportunity One: Fire Fighter Trainee
The County of Los Angeles Fire Department is pleased to announce the posting of the Fire Fighter Trainee examination.
The application filing period will begin on Monday, April 15, 2024, at 8:00 a.m. (PT). This examination will remain open until the needs of the department are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.
Required License/Certificate(s) and Submission Process:
In order to be placed on the register, applicants must meet all of the following requirements and present:
- A current and passing written test score issued by the Firefighter Candidate Testing Center (FCTC). –OR– If you do not have a passing FCTC Written Test score, you may obtain information on how to complete the written test by going to FCTConline.org. For a score to be considered valid, applicants must have received a passing score within the last 12 months. When applying for this position, please make sure to use the same email address you used to complete your FCTC profile. Upon receiving an application, the Fire Department will review and confirm your FCTC score with the testing center. Applicants cannot take the written test more than once in a 30-day period and only the most recent test score will be considered valid by the County of Los Angeles Fire Department. Once your application is submitted and you possess a passing score, additional attempts to improve your score will not be accepted. Therefore, you are encouraged to have a favorable score before submitting an application. For fees associated with the written test please visit Fees | FCTC Online.
- A current and valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certificate. –OR– If you do not have a CPAT certificate, you may go to FCTConline.org to obtain information on how to get one. This must be provided with your application at the time of filing or within 12 months of receiving your most recent passing FCTC Written Test score. Your CPAT certificate will be verified.
- A copy of a high school diploma, its equivalent, or a higher degree from an accredited institution. This must be provided with your application at the time of filing or within 12 months of receiving your most recent passing FCTC Written Test score, to FFTapplicant@fire.lacounty.gov. In order to receive credit for a high school diploma, its equivalent, or higher such as a Bachelor’s degree, you must include a legible copy of either the Official Degree, Official Transcript(s), or Official Letter from the accredited institution (which shows the date the degree was awarded) with the Registrar’s signature and school seal. Failure to provide proof of education will result in application rejection.
- Note: “official transcript” is defined as a transcript that bears the school’s seal and states “official” and/or “copy” issued by the school’s Registrar Office. A printout of the transcript from the school’s website is NOT considered official and therefore, will not be accepted and will result in your application being incomplete and rejected.
- A current, valid, non-probationary Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certificate/license that will remain effective for at least six months beyond the date of appointment. This must be provided with your application at the time of filing or within 12 months of receiving your most recent passing FCTC Written Test score, to FFTapplicant@fire.lacounty.gov.
Please see below for the Fire Fighter Trainee Job Posting, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), and Study Guide.
Please click here for upcoming Fire Fighter Trainee Listening Informational Seminars.
Don't have a computer?
If you do not have a computer or internet access, applications can be completed on computers available at Los Angeles County Libraries. Click below to access the LA County Library Locator.
Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
All relevant information regarding the CPAT can be found by clicking the button below.
Opportunity Two: Fire Fighter Trainee (Paramedic)
The County of Los Angeles Fire Department examination for Fire Fighter Trainee (Paramedic) has closed. Please check back regularly for updates.